Football Betting: The Beginners Guide
It took a long time to get where I am now in terms of knowledge and control, and just like you, I once was also a beginner. Reading this beginners guide to betting on football will help you on your way to successfully betting on football, and remember, only gamble what you can afford to lose.
Football Betting: A Quick Introduction
What Will I Learn? In this guide, you will learn the basics of gambling on football. Including, types of bets, mistakes often made, as well as another useful tips and information. Then you will be ready to place your first bet.
Now we think it’s best to get started with a brief overview of how odds work.
Fractional and Decimal Odds
The two common types of odds used are Fractional and Decimal odds. Originally used in horse racing, fractional odds are the more popular in the United Kingdom and Ireland, while Decimal odds are popular across the rest of the world.
Originally used in horse racing, fractional odds are the more popular in the United Kingdom and Ireland, while Decimal odds are popular across the rest of the world.
Most Common Types of Football Bets
Now let’s get started with the basics and cover the five top types of bets most used today as well as betting combinations.
- Match Betting – This is the simplest form of football betting, and all that is required is for you to select Home, win or draw. This type of bet only covers the usual 90 minutes and is the best type of bet for beginners.
- Both Teams to Score (BTTS) – When both teams are required to score in the match this is known as Both Teams to Score, or sometimes referred to as goals galore.
- Over/Under – When you bet on a number of goals per game. For example, over 2.5 goals which are the most popular means 3 or more goals have to be scored in the match.
- Half Time/Full Time – This type of bet requires you to pick both the half-time and full-time outcome. For example; selecting Draw/Home if you think that at halftime the game will be a draw then for the home side to be winning at full-time.
- Correct Score – Commonly known as a scorecast, the correct score bet is as the name suggest, when you predict the right score of a football match. The odds for this type of bet are very generously due to many combinations possible.
- Singles – The simplest and most profitable bet. Betting on one selection to win.
- Accumulators – An accumulator is when you combine multiple selections (2 or more) into one bet. All selections in this bet must win for any payout.
- Lucky 15 – 4 selections with 15 bets, four singles, six doubles, four trebles and a fourfold accumulator, popular for when choosing high priced selections such as correct score.
Finding the Best Odds & Value
Most of us tend to shop around before buying products in real life, and the same rule should apply when gambling online. Many bookmakers offer different prices. The best place to compare prices is oddschecker.com. Also be sure to look out for any enhanced price promotions your bookie may be running, and this is when a bookmaker offers a better value price. Just like corals new customer welcome offer. Coral, for example, offer highly enhanced odds for a market where the price is usually odds on or at a very short price.
Also be sure to look out for any enhanced price promotions your bookie may be running, and this is when a bookmaker offers a better value price. Coral, for example, offer highly enhanced odds for a market where the price is usually odds on or very short.
Research & Statistics
Having the most up to date statistics also helps a hand in choosing proftable selections. We at FootyStats created our website with one thing in mind – To make sense of football data. Tons and tons of data is available online today. Yet none of the existing services presents the data in an easy to understand interface. Our easy to use GUI helps you make sense of how often clean sheets occur in the premier league or how many times matches in the Chinese super league goes over 3.5 goals.
Historical Betting Data & Football Odds
For the best Historical football betting odds and results data then we suggest Football-Data.co.uk. They have archives of fulltime and halftime results for up to 22 European league divisions from 19 seasons back to 1993/94. Additional match statistics since 2000/01, including shots on goal, corners, fouls, offsides, bookings, red cards and referees, are also available for the major European football leagues, including the English Premiership and lower divisions, the
Additional match statistics since 2000/01, including shots on goal, corners, fouls, offsides, bookings, red cards and referees, are also available for the major European football leagues. Historical match betting odds data from up to 10 major online bookmakers are available back to 2000/01.
Injuries & suspensions
Just because a club has been performing well recently does not mean they are going to 100% win the next game. Various factors come into play, one of these being current injuries and suspensions.
For example, if a team relies solely on its main striker, and he gets injured in a previous match, then this can affect the outcome. This fantastic resource on injuries and suspensions will keep you updated.
Own a Smartphone loaded with Apps
Having the latest and a wide selection of football apps is tools a football punter must have. An app that really stands out from the crowd is FlashScores. They offer on the spot notifications of goals and an amazing in-play stats section that covers goal attempts, ball possession, corners, offsides, fouls, lineups, player stats, live commentary and the list goes on!
Take the chance
Do you have a gut feeling about the match? Then why not take the chance, albeit a smalll one! If football results turned out the way we all expected and as the stats suggest, then the bookies would not be in business and every single one of us would be rich.
Opening a Betting Account
Choose who you gamble with wisely. Ensure they support your preferred payment method and have a license to operate within your country. Personally, I have multiple betting accounts to ensure the best possible odds however if you had to choose one or two then we recommend the following.
- Bet365 – This is our bookie of preference due to a significant amount of football betting markets offered.
- Coral – Another favourite of ours is coral, due to the generous welcome offer of Bet £5 Get £20!
Mistakes Football Gamblers Make
Now it comes to the most important part of our guide, mistakes beginners make while gambling. Before gambling on any sport, we suggest adhering to the following three rules.
- Bet what you can afford to lose – This may sound like a silly rule to some. However, the key to becoming a successful gambler is bankroll management.
- Don’t Bet on your team – As a general rule, you should never back or go against your team. Most of the time these decisions or made from the heart, not the head, and they also make losing a lot harder to take.
- If you feel angry or frustrated, walk away – Being in the correct mindset is also very important when it comes to gambling. Never chase losses and ALWAYS stop when the fun stops.
General Betting FAQ’s
Can I lose all my money gambling? Yes, if you don’t stick to the main rule of gambling only what you can afford to lose. If you don’t you will enter a downward spiral that’s hard to come out of.
Do you suggest gambling online? Yes, we recommend betting exclusively online. The reason for this is that you will find better odds compared to brick and mortar shops.
Do I have to bet big? No, betting from as little as £1 on a football accumulators is a way many punters enjoy gambling. Lucky punters can often land it big from such a small bet. However, this is few and far between.
Before beginning to gamble you have to make sure you’re prepared, in the correct mindset and have some spare money you can afford to lose. Winning 100% of the time is impossible, and if you are then, please do contact us and let us know your secret. If you don’t enjoy betting on football, then you may consider book of ra deluxe progressive slots.